Monday, March 31, 2008

Stupidly Easy Angel Food Cake

Writing this blog for the past few weeks has helped me realize that I bake more than I thought I did. Previously, baking was a simple, experimental matter of throwing a few ingredients together and seeing what emerged from the oven, but now I make myself think about quantities in case I enjoy a recipe enough to end up posting it. I almost didn't post this one, partly because it uses two different mixes (Really, there's nothing at all natural in this recipe. It's shameful!) and partly because it's so stupidly easy.

But then I thought to myself, "Self, if you think that you occasionally deserve a break from the hours baking a cake can entail, don't you think others might appreciate the same?" So here's a cake you can throw together in less than five minutes. No kidding. Total prep time should hover somewhere around two minutes, and that's only if you have to go off and search for scissors to open your cake mix. It has exactly two ingredients (and like I said, neither of them is even vaguely found in nature), but if you find out that friends are coming over in a few minutes and somehow simply lack the willpower or supplies to do anything else, this recipe will see you through. It's certainly not culinary school material, but hey, even ambitious cooks sometimes need a guilty secret!

Stupidly Easy Angel Food Cake

1 box angel food cake mix (I like Duncan Hines, but Betty Crocker will do in a pinch)
1 can fruit pie filling (Cherry, peach, blueberry, it doesn't matter. They all work, so pick your favorite. I usually go with blueberry.)

In a 9x13 baking pan, mix together the angel food mix and the pie filling, stirring until they are roughly homogenous (try to get out all the lumps of dry cake mix). Ignore the cake mix box when it tells you that you need things like liquids, all you need is the pie filling. Cook your cake per the box's instructions about time and temperature.

Servings: 15? I don't know, it depends on how big you cut your cake pieces.

See? Wasn't that stupidly easy? I'll have to post something desperately fancy and a little difficult next time to make up for the fact that this is so easy.

No comments: